My sister taught me this recipe for roasted bacon and Brussels sprouts. This side dish is simple and tasty! Roast bacon and vegetables together in an oven for 30 minutes. As the fat melts off the bacon, it enhances the Brussels sprouts’ flavor.
Instructions for Bacon and Brussels Sprouts
Rinse and drain Brussels sprouts. Peel top leaves off. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut Brussels sprouts into halves. Chop bacon into chunks.
Scatter bacon and Brussels on baking tray. Sprinkle black pepper to taste.
Bake for 15 minutes. Turn Brussels sprouts over. You want them roasted evenly on both sides. Bake another 15 minutes.
Remove from oven. Serve as a side dish. Sometimes, I eat this as my main meal.
The ingredients cost $7.12. Here’s a cost breakdown.
- Bacon, 1 lb. package, Weis Markets brand: $4.99
- Brussels sprouts: $2.13
There’s still half a pound of bacon in my refrigerator. I think I’ll bake more bacon and Brussels sprouts!
- Want less grease with this meal? Before you chop up the uncooked bacon, trim off some of the fat.
- Still too much grease after you finish cooking? Put a paper towel on a plate, then place the bacon and Brussels sprouts on top. The paper will soak up some of the grease.
- You do need some fat with this dish. Fat adds flavor to the Brussels sprouts. It also helps roast the vegetables.
- If you’re feeling experimental, nomnompaleo.com has an interesting recipe. NomNom’s version uses balsamic vinegar, kosher salt and “melted ghee or fat of choice.” Personally, I wouldn’t add salt or fat. Bacon has enough salt and fat already. However, I might try balsamic vinegar with this dish in the future.